Wednesday, 26th July 2017
Home (Marloes’ place in Utrecht), Mariastraat
Moved out of Annelies’ place in Amsterdam today into Marloes’ place for my last 2 weeks in Netherlands. (Visiting Nicolas in France for 5 days before going to London)
So happy to be here. I feel so lucky to be able to live in another city. Marloes’ place was thankfully available as she was visiting her family in Limburg, and I got to stay for free! Thank you Marloes! Utrecht is such a bustling town but at the same time quaint and old. Staying here till the 4th of August. The window view of the streets below is incredible. It is so unique for me and it feels great. I don’t even know how to describe.
Sunday, 30th July 2017
15:40PM, HEMA Cafe
Right now in HEMA, a very similar concept store to IKEA, with its own cafe. Right across the street from where I am sitting by the window, literally, is my home. Re-reading ‘The Art of Creative Thinking’ by Rod Judkins, on the part about Observations of People.
1. Fingers locked, cheeks resting on hands propped up on the table. She’s thinking.
2. Two daydreaming couple. Unspeaking. Connected.
3. Beautiful redhead girl sitting in front of me. She has freckles and a nice profile.
4. Arms propping head up, looking outside.
5. Lady looks at her baby, makes noises. Strikes up a conversation with the mum.
6. Girl reading a book alone.
7. Old couple eats silently. No need to speak.
8. Most people here in this cafeteria prefers to sit by the window, including me. Why is that? A need to feel a sense of ‘space’ that is innate in us? Or just to people-watch the street below? Something intriguing.
9. Language is a weird thing. Literally sounds that certain groups of people understand. A conversation beside me, I can pick out some words in Dutch, but for the most part, it is too fast for me to understand.